History of Crawley Down

The Crawley Down Village website was introduced with a concise history of the village written by Jeremy Hodgkinson, a local historian who used to teach at CD Junior School.

We now wish to expand this section of the site to include histories of other aspects of the village. The first of these is a short history of Tiltwood House written by Andrew Graham.

If you have any memories of Crawley Down or would like to write a short history of another aspect of Crawley Down, please contact us.

About Crawley Down

History of Crawley Down by Jeremy Hodgkinson - December 2005

History of Tiltwood House by Andrew Graham - February 2006

History of The Grange by Valerie King and Ann Read - 2004

History of The Wesleyan Chapel by Valerie King and Ann Read - 2004

History of Down Park by Jeremy Hodgkinson - August 2006
with additional material by Charles Peile

The 14th Hussars and the Steam Circus Visit Crawley Down Park in 1890
by Valerie King and Ann Read - January 2011
A Fête held in aid of the Building Fund for a Parish Room
with thanks to West Sussex Records Office.

History of Grange Road Station by Valerie King and Ann Read - 2004